About Chiropractic

 
97.jpg
 
 

Correct. Stabilise. Maintain.

 

About Chiropractic

Chiropractic works on the biological premise that the body is designed to be able to heal itself, as long as the brain and the body are able to communicate properly. This is done via a healthy nervous system (brain, spinal cord and spinal nerves, which make up the body’s internal communication). The spine’s job is to house and protect this system.

When the body is under stress (physical, chemical or emotional) it can cause muscles to tighten and joints in the spine to become stuck or misaligned. These misalignments can create interference to the function of the nervous system, creating issues such as back pain, neck pain and/or headaches just to name a few, and limiting the body’s ability to self heal and self regulate.

The great news is that as chiropractors, we are highly trained to locate and then safely and gently correct these misalignments, allowing proper function of the spine and nervous system to be restored and thus allowing the body to heal properly.  It’s that simple.

We utilise a number of chiropractic techniques including traditional ‘hands-on’ type care, as well as activator (instrument-assisted) care. It comes down to patient preference and what works the best for each individual.  We promise to listen to what has worked/not worked for you in the past, to figure out what will be the best approach moving forward in the future.

 

Chiropractic and Pregnancy

We love helping women enjoy an easier, more comfortable pregnancy with specialised techniques and equipment to cater for growing body shapes. 

As the baby grows, considerable stress is placed on muscles, ligaments, joints and overall posture of a woman’s spine. The pelvis may begin to rotate to allow for the developing baby. This can lead to distortion of the surrounding connective tissue and pelvic dystocia (a common cause of failure to progress in labour.)

Clinically, chiropractic care has been shown to relieve back pain for up to 85% of pregnant women as well as maintaining pelvic balancewhich can allow for less intervention during labour and reduced labour time. Chiropractic care canalso play an integral role in helping to ensure that the developing baby is in the correct position and ready for delivery.

We often hear from our pregnant patients that while they’re under chiropractic care, they experience significantly less aches and pains, compared to previous pregnancies when they were not under care.

Rest assured that chiropractic care while pregnant is extremely safe and also very gentle.  

 
 
 
wai chi 2.jpg
 
 

Correct. Stabilise. Maintain.

 

Chiropractic and Babies/Children

It’s worth pointing out that chiropractic is not just for big people, it’s for little people too! All three of our chiropractors are trained to look after newborn babies right through to school age and beyond. 

Babies that go through birth trauma or require intervention (C-section, ventouse or forceps delivery) can end up creating tension and disturbance of the spinal joints which can have a wide-ranging effect on the baby’s body.  This may show up as restricted movement (baby latching only on one side, or turning to one side), through to digestive and bowel issues, colic and poor sleep patterns.  It is important to acknowledge that chiropractors do not claim to ‘cure’ any of these conditions.  However, we know that through safe and gentle corrections, chiropractors can stimulate the body’s natural ability to restore balance and heal itself.

Paediatric care is so gentle, that babies may even stay asleep throughout their sessions!  

As babies hit their milestones and become toddlers, there can be a lot of stress placed on their spine/pelvis as they repeatedly fall over whilst learning to crawl and then walk.  This repetitive stress can create spinal misalignments, which can affect their health and wellbeing not only now, but also later in life.  This can also occur when they’re older and playing sports, learning to ride bikes/scooters/horses etc.  

It is important to point out that only 10% of the nervous system perceives pain/discomfort.  The other 90% is involved with function (organs/glands/muscles).  If you are waiting for your child to complain of a sore back or neck, the issue has normally been going on for some time and could well have been affecting their development in other ways that you may never connect back to their spine.  We recommend that you bring your children in after any accident/injury to make sure their body is in balance and their health is not potentially compromised.

We feel it’s very important to get babies and children checked out, and we offer a special rate for their chiropractic adjustments.